Siva and Parvati
Watercolor 14″H x 21″W
This watercolor painting is based on a photograph I took when I visited Belur and Halebid.
The painting appears to be monochromatic. Yet there are some other subtle colors.
I used Masking Fluid extensively.
I had four bottles containing the Masking Fluid.
The first bottle contained full strength of the Masking Fluid.
The second bottle contained 75% of the Masking Fluid mixed with 25% of water.
The third bottle contained 50% of the Masking Fluid mixed with 50% of water.
The fourth bottle contained 25% of the Masking Fluid mixed with 75% of water.
After sketching the picture carefully, I applied the full strength Masking Fluid in places I wanted the paper to remain white. Then applied light colors on the entire surface of the paper.
Now I chose the areas where I wanted light grey areas of the paper and applied the mixture from the second bottle containing 75% of the Masking Fluid. Then I applied medium value colors.
Now choosing the areas where I wanted medium grey areas to remain on paper, I applied the mixture from the third bottle containing 50% of the Masking Fluid. . Then I applied darker colors.
Now choosing the areas where I wanted dark grey areas to remain on paper, I applied the mixture from the third bottle containing 25% of the Masking Fluid. . Then I applied very dark colors.
Now the entire surface of the paper looked almost black. Using an eraser, I rubbed the entire surface. The picture with varying values of colors emerged as shown!
The process is time consuming. But it is worth the trouble considering the result.
(Cambridge, Ontario, Canada)